AttentionDeficitChef

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Atlanta Trip - Cook's Warehouse

This week I'm on business in Atlanta. - a weeklong training course so I can be a better IT guy. As you may or may not know I'm an Alton Brown freak - and he's from Atlanta - so when prepping to go to Atlanta I of course researched his suggestions.

Among his list of places to eat, places to see and things to do was visiting the Cook's Warehouse. He mentioned their great supplies for the kitchen as well as their cooking classes. As I always do I take his word for gospel and was as such on a mission to check it out. After checking their website (and consulting my lovely wife) I selected the Vegetarian Indian Cooking Class taught by Atlanta Chef Archna (Anic) Becker. She has a restaurant in Atlanta recently voted best in Atlanta. More about the class in a future post.

As for the store - it was pretty cool. It wasn't as big as I thought it would be, but it wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be either. In fact there were so me downright good deals. Using all my willpower I left after only buying two items (grand total $29 USD) - an old school French rolling pin and a new school Silpat - the closest I can describe it is a silicon baking mat but I fear I'm not doing it any justice. I'll let you know how they work out in a future post.

Coming home from the warehouse to my hotel near the Perimeter Mall was an adventure and a half. It took me almost two hours to travel 16 miles - the roads signs in Atlanta are BRUTAL. Roads merge into one another and change names several times, etc. I used to think I had a good sense of direction!

So was it worth the trip - it was fine - fair prices, decent selection - just not as grand as I thought it would be in my head...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home